In January, I arrived home at midnight from a trip to Santa Barbara to find water sheeting across the master bedroom floor. A frozen heating pipe had split and burst and then thawed. It must have just thawed enough to start leaking a few hours before. This was a very cold January, and shutting off all the water and losing all heat at a temperature of 10 degrees outside wasn’t workable. Thank you, Polar Vortex. After I found the zone that controlled the water flow and shut it off, I drilled holes in the ceiling downstairs to release the water that had seeped through the floor into plastic tubs and garbage cans. I got maybe 100 gallons out.
If the pipe had burst and then leaked for days, the downstairs would have flooded.
What did get damaged though has taken until now to rebuild. The rebuilding displaced my studio until this next coming weekend, when I get to put it back together.