I caught up. I developed 6 rolls of black and white and two rolls of color, all medium format, by this last Sunday AM. Scanning those 80 B&W, plus another 25 color images, again, not too bad, I can keep up with that.
Keeping the images ordered and findable, that’s no longer simple. The sheer size of the storage required boggles the mind. A 6×7 medium format image file runs 296 MB. That’s a huge amount of detail. Images to print are even larger. But 296 MB is sufficient detail to only miss the original negative a little bit.
That kind of size isn’t needed for every image. Of the 105 images this past weekend, perhaps 11 were interesting enough to be true keepers. Eight of those were because I had noticed a quality of image in photographs of snow on medium format Kodak TMY 400 black and white film, the extreme contrast between the trees and branches, blacks and greys, and the blinding highlights in the snow. In most series of eight rolls of film, maybe three will be good photographs, maybe another 4 useful for form or inspiration or reference.
Most of this stuff could be scanned and saved at a much smaller size. But that only works for me if I can second guess that judgment later on, and I have preserved the original RAW file in the case of a digital photograph or the location of the negative in the case of a film image. That means I’m having to add in organization. Right now I could find the negative, eventually. Maybe. I’d like to be able to be certain.
Probably something like a thumbnail image ties into a unique index number tied into the location of the file on disk, tied into the location of the negative and/or DVD optical backups. Something like that.
— UPDATE —
After having thought about putting the organization of the images into a program like a wiki, or even a wordpress (this weblog) program frame, I decided that’s overkill.
Simplest would be:
A script, probably in perl. Uses ImageMajick and maybe exiv2 to read out metadata, we’ll see. In initial testing the exiv2 data was minimal, but maybe that’s a reflection of the data presented in the image.
Point it at a directory, it reads the files, renaming each to match a unique index number in the filename, then creates a thumbnail/contact print in a website directory, matching name and index number. Assembles a page that includes each contact image, plus metadata, file location, filename. The page name is the date _1 for the first, _2 for the second, etc. Each date-named page is indexed on a master sheet, where comments can be added…
Manually add the index numbers to the folders in which the negatives are stored, and add in any DVD backups and index number (separate, different dataCD database) for these. Add this information to the listing page.
All of this can be served out locally by a simple virtual webserver…